Currently on Maternity Leave & Not Accepting New Clients
Hi, my name is Dr. Carley Hoyle.
I am a registered psychologist with a PhD in School and Clinical Child Psychology from the University of Alberta. I have competency in the areas of psycho-educational assessment, clinical assessment, and counselling. I have experience working with children, adolescents, young adults, and families struggling with mental health, stress, behaviour, learning, and attention challenges. Additionally, I have specialised knowledge and training in the areas of sport related concussion assessment and management as well as chronic pain management.
I love working with youth and am passionate about connecting with each individual in unique ways to support their goals. If you have any questions or would like to connect directly, please email me at .
Approach to Counselling:
I offer individual counselling as well as group intervention with children and adolescents. My training is broad and involves biopsychosocial systems and developmental perspectives. Additionally, I draw from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Emotion Focused Therapy, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I work collaboratively and involve parents as key agents to support change in the lives of their child. I enjoy working in fun and creative ways that empower individuals to shift towards positive change.
Education and Credentials:
- Registered Psychologist (#5514) with the College of Alberta Psychologists
- Bachelor of Science, Major in Psychology from MacEwan University - Edmonton, Alberta
- Master of Education Degree in School and Clinical Child Psychology from the University of Alberta – Edmonton, Alberta
- Doctor of Philosophy in School and Clinical Child Psychology (CPA Accredited) from the University of Alberta - Edmonton, Alberta
Throughout my training and professional experience I have had the opportunity to work with a variety of individuals in school, community clinic, and hospital settings.
I have completed hundreds of assessments across these settings. Aside from basic psycho-educational assessments I offer more comprehensive assessments that involve memory, attention, executive functioning, motor, and personality assessment. I also have experience with individual as well as group counselling across settings. I have had the opportunity to work with hundreds of families as well as develop and execute group intervention programs in the areas of building resilience, coping with emotions, and managing concussion symptoms.
In addition to my clinical experiences, I have had the opportunity to work on a number of large scale research projects involving collegiate and professional level athletes. My dissertation research focused on mental health outcomes following sport related concussion in elite athletes. I have a passion for research and knowledge translation. I hope to continue to contribute to the field of sport related concussion throughout my career and share the findings with the community in accessible ways.
Finally, I have enjoyed teaching and mentoring students. I have served as an Adjunct Professor within the Educational Psychology Department at the University of Alberta. Specifically, I have taught Advanced Child/Adolescent Intervention. I love sharing information and working with students in collaborative ways to enhance learning.
- Psycho-educational Assessments (ages 4 to 50)
- Comprehensive Assessments (ages 6 to 50)
- Individual Counselling (ages 5 to 30)
- Group Intervention (ages 6 to 18)
Who I Work With:
I typically work with school aged populations. However, depending upon the service provided I have flexibility in the age ranges I am able to serve (please see above).
I am comfortable assessing the following presenting concerns:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders (i.e., ADHD, Learning Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, Tic Disorders)
- Depressive Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Chronic Pain Disorders
- Management/Assessment of Post Concussion Symptoms
- Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders
- Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders (i.e., ODD, IED, Conduct Disorder)
In most cases, I would refer to other professionals for the following issues:
- Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Diagnosing Personality Disorders
- Diagnosing Psychosis
- Child Custody Evaluations
- Assessment and therapy with very young children (under 4)
- Feeding and Eating Disorders
- Elimination Disorders
- Sleep-Wake Disorders
- Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work with a variety of individuals across Alberta. Specifically, I have worked at the Stollery Children’s Hospital Pediatric Chronic Pain Clinic, Glen Sather Sports Medicine Clinic, University of Alberta, and a variety of school divisions (i.e., Edmonton Public, Elk Island Public/Catholic, Parkland). I have also completed work for a number of government contracts including Jordan’s Principal and Mandel and Associates (Alberta Education Specialized Assessments).
With regard to my personal life, I am blessed to have an incredible husband, son, family, and many friends. In my spare time I enjoy anything outdoors, especially if it’s in the snow! As a family we love to snowboard, ski, hike, and bike. I grew up as a dancer and was fortunate to teach dance to children and adolescents for 10 years. I believe this is where my passion for working in this population began. I love connecting with youth in fun and interactive ways. I look forward to continuing to support youth in reaching their goals and living full and meaningful lives.
- Canadian Psychological Association
- Sports Neuropsychology Society