Currently On Maternity Leave
Hello! My name is Ashley Gunter.
I am a Registered Psychologist in Alberta with a Master of Education in School and Applied Child Psychology from the University of Calgary. I have competency in the areas of psycho-educational, social-emotional, behavioural, and diagnostic assessments. I have experience working with children, adolescents as well as families struggling with a variety of presenting concerns (e.g., learning, behavior, social-emotional, and mental health) in different settings.
Iespecially enjoy working with children and adolescents as well as their families and educators to better understand their strengths and weaknesses in order to help them achieve their full potential. If you have any questions or want to connect with me directly, please feel free to email me at .
Education and Credentials:
- Registered Psychologist (#5565) with the College of Alberta Psychologists
- Honours Bachelor of Science with Specialization in Psychology from the University of Ottawa - Ottawa, Ontario
- Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Health Sciences from the University of Ottawa - Ottawa, Ontario
- Master of Education in School and Applied Child Psychology from the University of Calgary - Calgary, Alberta
Background / Experience:
I have experience working in a variety of settings and roles with both children and adolescents, including multiple school boards in Alberta and British Columbia (e.g., Edmonton Public Schools, Calgary Board of Education, and Abbotsford School District) and an intensive campus-based treatment program at Hull Services.
Over the past years, I have developed an exemplary skill set in conducting comprehensive psycho-educational assessments. I specialize in psycho-educational assessment of children and adolescents with learning difficulties, cognitive delays, as well as social, emotional, and behavioural challenges. I believe in writing strength-based assessment reports that include practical recommendations for effective programming at school and home. I also enjoy providing consultative services to support students, families, and school-based teams to ensure that the unique needs of students are addressed and well supported.
In addition to my practical experiences as a psychologist, I have experience in planning and implementing behavioural, social-emotional, and learning strategies and interventions in the classroom. More specifically, in my role as a School Assistant in a kindergarten classroom, I efficiently facilitated stimulating and constructive learning opportunities to promote positive social, emotional, and behavioural changes in students. In addition to my experiences in a school setting, I have provided care for high-risk youth in an intensive campus-based treatment program as a Child and Youth Care Counsellor. This experience greatly enriched my ability to effectively utilize developmentally appropriate teaching methods to transfer information and skills to youth.
- Psycho-Educational Assessments (children to adolescents)
- Social-Emotional Assessments (children to adolescents)
- Behavioural Assessments (children to adolescents)
- Diagnostic Assessments (children to adolescents)
Who I Work With:
I currently primarily work with school-aged populations. I am comfortable assessing the following presenting concerns:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders (i.e., ADHD, Learning Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities)
- Depressive Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders (i.e., Acute Stress Disorder, Adjustment Disorders)
- Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders (i.e., ODD, IED, Conduct Disorder)
In most cases, I would refer to other professionals for the following issues:
- Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Diagnosing Personality Disorders
- Diagnosing Psychosis
- Child Custody Evaluations
- Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders
- Feeding and Eating Disorders
- Sleep-Wake Disorders
- Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
From a young age, I have enjoyed working with children. I feel very privileged to have found a career that allows me to engage and inspire children and youth as well as advocate for students and help them succeed.
With regards to my personal life, I am ever grateful to be surrounded by wonderful people, including my husband, family, friends, and colleagues. In my spare time, I enjoy traveling, cooking/baking, fitness, reading, and cheering on the Toronto Raptors.